Sunday, April 12, 2015

Cross connections

 The number was in Sid's head, a surprising fact in this world. He never forgets what needs to be forgotten. Before he could think, he had finished dialing.

Meanwhile, around 11000Km away from Istanbul, at around 10,000 ft above sea level,  Phobjikha valley had turned purple, reminding the monks of Gangteng monastery to close the doors of the outer wall lest the summer wind from the south usher in. Yandin Wangchuk was in dilemma, even though his faith forbid him, he still wanted to call her. From the rustic corner of the monastery, he mustered courage to dial those numbers, penned long time in his red pocket book.

Meanwhile, around 3000 Km away from Phobjikha valley,  Anitha was preparing her morning coffee. She hated this ritual but she needed one before she went to hospital. Aravind, her husband was still sleeping after his tiring night shift. His duty was not supposed start before 3:00 PM, so she allowed him to enjoy his dreams. However, while looking at him sleeping, she felt something amiss. Perhaps things would not have been the same with ...She didn't complete her thoughts. Coffee was finally kicking in. Suddenly, her mobile started to ring.


Meanwhile, somewhere on the US east coast, Minshi Wangdin was getting ready to sleep. She had put her 11 months old baby, Rinzc to sleep.  She had finally got adjusted to life in America. Leaving Bhutan was something she never dreamed of. But now, everything seemed to have happened a long time ago.  Slowly time had healed old wounds. Those were not wounds thought, those were just pangs of separation. Separation from him. Like colorful prayer flags that fluttered in mountains, carrying the prayers across levied by cold wind, for few months they carried that her pain too. But now everything was becoming distant memory. She looked at her Rinzc's face.

Suddenly her mobile started ringing. She picked up in panic because it would have woken up Rinzc.

"Hello" . Anitha at once recognized that voice. It was Sid.

Hello.  Minshi could not reply to it. She knew who she was talking to.

Suddenly the voices cracked

"Anitha before you cut the call let me tell you something." Sid said in quivering voice.


"Hello" ..."Minshi Hello" ..."hello Sid " ..."Anitha..."

"I met somebody and I am very happy in my life. I hope you too are happy. I know I could have been more happier with you.  But I messed it up. I am sorry. I want you to know that you are the best thing that has happened to me so far in my life. And I gave it up for something silly. I curse myself every day for that. But then it has been more than 7 years and I would like to move on. Wish me luck will you. It means a lot to me."

"Sid ...I always wanted you to move on. I know how you would have been all these years. But do you know what... I was even more cursed than you were. Every day being with somebody who loves me a lot without thinking that I was not completely in love with him. I was lying to myself every day. you see, I never told about you to him. But I think I would have to tell him. Good luck to you Sid. But can you wish me the same ...I too want a closure. "

"Good luck".. Yandin said it before he realized.

Minshi closed her eyes and hung the call. She waited for her husband.


Photocredit: http://pando.com/

No comments: